Advertisement
South China Sea: China and Cambodia vow to move quickly to conclude code of conduct amid tension in disputed waterway
- Cambodian Foreign Minister Chenda Sophea Sok tells Chinese counterpart Wang Yi that Phnom Penh opposes ‘troublemaking in the region by extraterritorial forces’
- Wang emphasised the need for continuous crackdowns on ‘cyberscams and human trafficking’ in the region
Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
13

China and Cambodia pledged on Monday to speed up finalising the long-awaited South China Sea code of conduct when Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visited Beijing’s loyal partner.
During a meeting with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister Sun Chanthol, Wang said both Beijing and Phnom Penh had agreed to protect “hard-earned regional peace” under multiple frameworks, such as the China-Asean (Association of Southeast Asian nations) and Lancang-Mekong cooperations.
Plans for a code of conduct in the region can be traced back to the early 2000s but only reached the third reading late last year.
Advertisement
On Sunday, Wang told Cambodian Foreign Minister Chenda Sophea Sok the two countries should extend cooperation in various fields and create “a favourable external environment” for that cooperation, according to the Chinese foreign ministry’s readout.
Echoing Wang’s remarks, Chenda Sophea Sok said Phnom Penh expected to see more economic projects in Cambodia under the Beijing-led Belt and Road Initiative, and it “opposes troublemaking in the region by extraterritorial forces”, the readout said.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x
