-
Advertisement
US-China relations
ChinaDiplomacy

No US stopover for Taiwanese leader could ease path to Xi-Trump meeting this year

Proposed stop in New York reportedly declined by Washington as Taipei says there are no immediate plans for overseas travel

Reading Time:4 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
35
The reported cancellation of an overseas trip is another setback for Taiwanese leader William Lai Ching-te. Photo: EPA
Alyssa ChenandZhao Ziwen
Taiwanese leader William Lai Ching-te has no immediate plans for overseas travel, his office said on Monday, following reports that his proposed stopover in the United States was declined by the Donald Trump administration.

Citing people familiar with the decision, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday that Washington told Lai he could not stop in New York on the way to South America, where he was earlier reported to be planning to visit Paraguay, Guatemala and Belize.

The decision is expected to remove significant obstacles to a possible leaders’ meeting between Beijing and Washington. Both sides are also holding their third round of trade negotiations in the Swedish capital, Stockholm.
Advertisement

Reuters reported that Lai’s overseas trip was not cancelled but rather delayed until later this year, and that stopovers would include Texas and another city on the US mainland.

Taiwanese Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo said the decision not to travel was based on ongoing rehabilitation efforts in southern Taiwan following a recent typhoon, regional developments, and US tariffs.

Advertisement

The South China Morning Post reported earlier this month that Lai was planning a US “stopover” in August that could take him to New York and Texas en route to South America, a move that was bound to anger Beijing.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x