Advertisement
ChinaPolitics

Beijing unfazed by drop in births despite ending the one-child policy

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Maternity matrons learn to take care of babies during training classes run by Li Ming Maternity Service Company in Beijing, China. Photo: AP
Zhuang Pinghuiin Beijing

Beijing shrugged off criticism that a partial relaxation of the “one-child” policy in 2014 failed, attributing an unexpected fall in the birth rate last year to superstition and a drop in the number of women of child-bearing age.

Some 16.55 million births were recorded last year – 320,000 less than the previous year, the National Bureau of Statistics announced on Tuesday.

READ MORE - First one child, now two - but China’s birth control policy is here to stay

The health authority predicted last February there would be one million additional births in 2015 after one million couples had applied to have a second child. In 2014, Beijing allowed couples where one partner was a single child to have a second one. The policy was extended to all couples on January 1.

Advertisement

The National Health and Family Planning Commission yesterday said the reason for the drop was two-fold. Many couples, especially in the north, had waited to have a child until the Year of the Goat turned into the Year of the Monkey, which is viewed as a more auspicious animal.

The number of women registering with hospitals for pregnancies rose sharply in the second half of the year. Beijing, for example, recorded a 36 per cent increase in July over the month before.

READ MORE - Wedding scramble: end to China’s policy of holidays for ‘late marriages’ leads to dash for the registry

The commission also said the number of women of child-bearing age peaked in 2011 and that last year the number of women in their 20s declined by 1.5 million.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x