Advertisement
Exclusive | Covid-19 in China: Chengdu FISU World University Games to be postponed for second time, sources say
- The event, originally due to take place last year, had already been put back to late June
- Sources in Chengdu say promotional work has been stopped and volunteers stood down
Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
3

The World University Games, which were due to start in Chengdu in late June, will be delayed until next year, a source who is in contact with the organising committee has told the South China Morning Post.
The FISU World University Games, held every two years, were originally due to be held in August 2021 in the capital of the southwest province Sichuan.
In April last year, organisers said the games would be pushed back to between June 26 and July 7 because of Covid-19 and travel restrictions.
Advertisement
People familiar with the matter said a decision on a second postponement could be made public imminently.
They pointed to the number of events that had been cancelled in China due to the strict quarantine rules and suggested that these “difficult conditions” were a challenge for any event organiser.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x