Advertisement
China

Renewed push to recognise the plight of Chinese ‘comfort women’ enslaved by Japanese military after victim dies

Voices of comfort women should be remembered, says Chinese scholar

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Former ‘comfort woman’ Ren Lane, who died on July 1, gestures as she speaks about her experience as a sex slave at her home in Shanxi province in July last year. Photo: Reuters
SCMP Reporter

Only 20 “comfort women” remain on the mainland following the death of survivor Ren Lane at the start of the month, a scholar has said as he called for greater efforts to protect historical documents detailing their suffering.

“Another comfort women victim [Ren] passed away in Shanxi province on July 1, leaving only 20 surviving comfort women in China,” said Su Zhiliang, director of the Research Centre for Chinese Comfort Women at Shanghai Normal University, according to Xinhua. The term comfort women is a euphemism for girls and women forced to work in wartime Japanese military brothels across Asia.

Advertisement

Su, who has spent two decades researching the issue, said the abuse left many women infertile and they had few family in the later years of their life.

In December, Japan and South Korea announced they had reached a deal to resolve their dispute over the issue, with Tokyo apologising and promising more than US$8.75 million for a fund. China’s foreign ministry said it would study Japan’s sincerity before deciding how it would proceed over the issue with Tokyo.

Advertisement
Undated file picture of unknown young Chinese comfort women seen here with Japanese soldiers. They where forced to serve in Japanese military brothels as sex slaves during the Japanese invasion of China.
Undated file picture of unknown young Chinese comfort women seen here with Japanese soldiers. They where forced to serve in Japanese military brothels as sex slaves during the Japanese invasion of China.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x