Advertisement
Man who detonated bomb aboard Taipei train, injuring dozens, jailed for 30 years
Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
A Taiwanese man was sentenced to 30 years in prison on Wednesday for detonating a pipe bomb on a busy Taipei train that injured more than two dozen people last year.
Lin Ying-chang, 56, was convicted on charges of attempted murder and making an explosive without a permit over the July 2016 blast, which the Taipei district court said was a botched suicide attempt.
The explosion injured 24 people when it tore through the train as it pulled into a station.
Advertisement
“The defendant detonated the explosive device with the goal of committing suicide, as well as taking his revenge on society by means of killing innocent people. His motive was malicious,” a court statement said.
Advertisement
Lin, who has the right to appeal the ruling, was also injured in the blast.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x