-
Advertisement
China society
China

Chinese toddler who plunged 15 metres into well pulled to safety after dramatic 9-hour rescue

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
A video screenshot shows rescuers carrying the toddler to safety in Shandong province. Photo: Xinhua
Kristin Huang

A two-year-old boy was brought to safety on Tuesday morning nine hours after he plunged 15 metres into a dry well in eastern China, Chinese media reported.

Jia Zhihao had been playing near his home in Shandong province’s Fangdong village in the city of Zibo on Monday evening when he fell into the well, news portal Thepaper.cn reported.

Advertisement

The mouth of the 15-metre-deep well had been covered only by some grass, the report said.

Fortunately, the boy’s parents quickly discovered him in the well and immediately called for help from police and firefighters.

Advertisement
Rescue underway to pull the toddler to safety in Shandong province. Photo: Xinhua
Rescue underway to pull the toddler to safety in Shandong province. Photo: Xinhua

Medical staff transmitted oxygen and dropped food down to the well for the boy as a team of rescuers worked to pull him up to safety, the report said.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x