Chinese tourist faints in shock after accidentally breaking US$44,000 jade bracelet

Woman ends up in hospital after passing out in the arms of bystanders when told how much the broken piece of jewellery cost

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 28 June, 2017, 12:41pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 28 June, 2017, 9:20pm

A Chinese tourist had a panic attack and fainted after she accidentally broke a jadeite bracelet priced at 300,000 yuan (US$44,110) in a shop in southwestern Yunnan province, according to a report by online news site

The woman, whose identity wasn’t disclosed, tried on the bracelet in a shop in the city of Ruili, a major jade trading centre. But when she took it off, it slipped from her hands and broke in two on the tiled floor, the report said.

After being told the cost of the bracelet, she had a panic attack, made a call to her friends, and told shop staff that she felt dizzy.

Chinese tourist destroys with three swift kicks what nature took 3,000 years to build

As people nearby tried to calm her down, her lips turned pale and she broke out in a cold sweat before suddenly losing consciousness, the report said.

Pictures of her falling into the arms of bystanders have been circulating widely online.

“She fainted because of the shock, but fortunately she is fine after having emergency treatment in hospital” Lin Wei, one of the shop’s owners, was quoted as saying.

Chinese buyer pays record US$21m for stunning red jade imperial seal, 20 times estimated value

Shop owners did not report the incident to the police and said they were negotiating appropriate compensation with the woman based on her financial situation.

Why are Chinese tourists so rude? A few insights

The broken bracelet was valued at 180,000 yuan by a third-party association under government supervision, according to a separate report from the official news portal.

Jade has a special significance in Chinese culture, and is seen as representing purity and having the ability to ward off evil and even to bring long life.