Two dead, 25 missing as huge landslide hits southern China
Video footage shows rocks raining down on village, demolishing dozens of buildings
At least two people were killed and 25 others missing after a landslide unleashed a torrent of rocks on a village in southwestern China on Monday morning, state media reported.
The disaster happened at about 10.40am in Zhangjiawan township in Nayong county, Bijie, Guizhou province, according to Xinhua.
About 170 buildings were destroyed, according to the provincial government’s civil affairs department.
Smaller landslides and rain followed, CCTV reported.
The bodies of two victims had been retrieved from the rubble and four people had been rescued, reports said.
The Beijing News posted footage of the disaster online, showing nearly half of a mountainside coming down and burying homes.
In the clip, a man squeezes into a gap between two concrete slabs that once formed someone’s home and emerges with a young child wrapped in a pink blanket.
“Is there anyone else alive?” a villager shouts. “Let’s dig together.”
The Beijing News reported that its phone interview with resident Chen Jie was cut short as he and others fled a second landslide.
“Several of my good friends have been buried alive. They are all dead, it’s too tragic, they are all dead,” Chen said.
“Go run, run!” Chen urged others before the line was cut.
Rescue efforts have been hampered by large rocks blocking roads into the disaster zone.
The provincial government estimated the damage bill to be 5.1 million yuan (US$768,000) but did not say what might have caused the disaster.
Rescue teams and emergency aid, including tents and blankets, had been sent to the site, reports said.
In August, a landslide in Puge county, Sichuan, killed at least 23 people and in June, in Mao county, also in Sichuan, another landslide killed 10, with 93 others missing.