China pneumonia outbreak raises spectre of Sars as number infected jumps to 44
- All those with the mystery illness in Wuhan are under quarantine, health authorities say, with a further 121 people under medical observation
- The virus could be a new strain and take longer to identify, experts say
Wuhan Municipal Health Commission said that the origin of the viral pneumonia outbreak remained unknown. It said investigations had so far ruled out common flu, avian flu, adenovirus infection and other common respiratory diseases. Further laboratory tests and investigations were under way.
The commission added that there was no proof of human-to-human transmission, nor had any medical staff contracted the illness.
It came as Hong Kong Hospital Authority said on Friday that two female patients admitted to hospital after recently visiting Wuhan had been confirmed as having influenza, not the unidentified virus. In response to the Wuhan outbreak, airports in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan had tightened fever surveillance of arriving passengers.