Survivors and relatives of victims of the Manila hostage crisis launched a new petition yesterday urging President Hu Jintao to help them seek justice. They launched a similar campaign last year, collecting nearly 10,000 signatures asking Hu to help the families of the eight who died and seven injured when sacked policeman Rolando Mendoza hijacked a tour bus and opened fire on August 23, 2010. Mendoza was then shot dead by a sniper. The group is demanding that the Philippine government compensate and apologise to the survivors and victims' families, and hold officials involved in the bungled rescue operation accountable for their actions. They are also urging Manila to step up efforts to ensure the safety of tourists. Last year, a month after the first anniversary of the tragedy, Premier Wen Jiabao asked Philippine President Benigno Aquino to take proper action over the siege. But Tse Chi-hang, younger brother of slain tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn, said nothing had been resolved and stressed they now needed Hu's help. Tse also expressed anger at Philippine consul Val Simon Roque's earlier statement to the media that the victims and families should learn the culture of forgiveness from the Philippines. "We hope … we can demonstrate to the central government our determination to fight for justice," Tse said. Office of the Chief Executive director Edward Yau Tang-wah had earlier promised the concern group that Leung Chun-ying would raise the issue with Aquino in bilateral talks at next month's Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation Summit in Russia. Tse said he hoped Hu could join forces with Leung in talks with the Philippine president. Meanwhile, Tse said he believed many Hong Kong people still supported their fight, as they could not forget how the incident unfolded on television. The late tour guide's mother, Lee Mei-chun, was tearful when she said: "I feel very desperate." Those wishing to support the group can sign the online petition at www.rip823.com which had more than 2,000 signatures as of yesterday afternoon. Others can sign the petition at the Mong Kok pedestrian zone between 4pm and 9pm on Saturday and from noon to 9pm on Sunday. Tse said the signatures would be submitted to Beijing either through Leung or via the central government liaison office next Tuesday.