The brother of the tour guide killed in the 2010 Manila bus hijacking appealed in the High Court yesterday for legal aid to bring a case for compensation against the Philippine government. The court reserved its decision in the case, said the applicant, Tse Chi-kin, after the closed-door hearing. Tse, the older brother of tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn, had twice previously asked for legal aid but was rejected for unspecified reasons. A lawyer who has been helping Tse said the Legal Aid Department could be taking the view that the case could not go ahead as the government in Manila would exercise sovereign immunity, which would exempt it from litigation. "The main issue is whether we can sue the Philippine government in Hong Kong or file a lawsuit only in the Philippines," Democratic Party lawmaker and solicitor James To Kun-sun said. Tse is seeking a formal apology and compensation from Manila over the deaths of his brother and seven Hong Kong tourists. They died under gunfire during a hijacking of their bus on August 23, 2010, by disgruntled former policeman Rolando Mendoza. To noted that an inquiry conducted by Manila had concluded that some officials had been negligent in the incident. He said the inquiry outcome showed they had a reasonable chance of success in a claim against Manila.