City University student who taped his cat to a wall turns himself in

A picture of the pasted animal was posted online, causing outrage among internet users

PUBLISHED : Monday, 17 December, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 17 December, 2012, 5:40am

A City University student has turned himself in to police after taping his cat to a wall and posting a picture of it online, the school said yesterday.

The first-year student, who was not named in an official statement by CityU, was escorted by a university official when he surrendered.

CityU confirmed that the student was responsible for posting the picture, which showed his kitten strapped against the wall of his student hall with what appears to be masking tape.

The photo, which was widely circulated, has stirred outrage on the internet.

The incident was reported to the police after the student's housemaster learned about it.

The maximum penalty for animal cruelty is three years in prison and a HK$200,000 fine.

"The student expressed his remorse. As the case is under investigation, it will not be appropriate [for the school] to comment on it," the university said.

An apology, attributed to the CityU student but which has yet to be confirmed, was posted in an online forum yesterday.

"I am deeply sorry and ashamed for having done that. I owned the cat for several months and I feel very ashamed for having done that idiotic [act]," the posting said.

"Even though the kitten looked well and never resisted or showed any discomfort at the time, I did feel immense regret for that."

The post also said he used tape and combs to remove fleas from the pet before deciding to use the tape to stick his cat "for a few seconds".

The post went on to say: "I am an animal-lover myself and I am outraged by the recent pet abuse incidents in the city. I feel very ashamed that I have become an animal abuser in this incident. I promise I will never do that again and hope the public can forgive my ignorance."

Last month, photos of a bloodied and injured cat caused outrage on Facebook and led to the arrests of four men and a woman suspected of attacking the animal inside a public housing estate in Sau Mau Ping. The cat was later put down.