Hong Kong Disneyland and the government are in talks over the theme park’s expansion plans, a tourism official said on Monday. Philip Yung Wai-hung, the tourism commission chief, said planning was under way to expand the park on seven hectares of land unused during the park’s first phase of development. Speaking a Legislative Council economic development panel session, Yung said the expansion plans included adding a third hotel to the park. The two current hotels have about 1,000 rooms between them. “We are now doing the design, and we aim to report to the legislature within the year on the design and financial arrangements,” he said. Andrew Kam Min-ho, managing director of the theme park, said his team had been mulling over a dozen proposals, trying to shortlist one or two for the final decision. “Some are feasible, but some are not,” he said. Lawmaker Michael Tien Puk-sun was concerned about whether Hong Kong’s 27-hectare theme park – among the smallest in the world – could rise to the challenge of Shanghai’s Disneyland, which is now under construction. “What expansion plans do we have? Are we going to have a theme park the same size as an American one? Or will we stay a second-class theme park, rather than first-class?” he said. Hong Kong Disneyland made a profit of HK$109 million – its first profit since opening in 2005 – in the fiscal year to last September. Kam said the new attractions that opened last year gave a big boost to admissions and revenue. About 6.7 million tourists, up by 13 per cent, visited the park last year, with 45 per cent from mainland China. It registered revenue of HK$4.2 billion.