-
Advertisement
Hong Kong

Macau judge tells Joseph Lau: we will send doctors to check your health

Prosecutor rubbishes Joseph Lau's claim that health problem stops him from facing justice

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Steven Lo (right), charged alongside Joseph Lau with offering a bribe, at the court in Macau yesterday. Photo: David Wong

A Macau court has lost patience with tycoon Joseph Lau Luen-hung and will send doctors to Hong Kong to check his health after the billionaire again failed to appear at his bribery trial.

Tycoon Steven Lo Kit-sing and Lau are charged with offering a HK$20 million bribe to Macau's former public works chief, Ao Man-long, in 2005. Ao was jailed for 29 years in May last year.

The case, originally scheduled for September last year, has been adjourned twice. Lau's lawyer again submitted a doctor's certificate to Macau's Court of First Instance yesterday, saying he was not fit to stand trial due to illness.

Advertisement

The nature of his complaint was not disclosed in court but was understood to be diabetes.

Deputy Prosecutor-General Paulo Chan said the certificate was exactly the same as the one submitted on January 7 and it was an unacceptable reason for his absence.

It is not even an illness. Almost every person living in urban areas of the same age and enjoying good nutrition could have this

"It is not even an illness," he said. "Almost every person living in urban areas of the same age and enjoying good nutrition could have this."

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x