Three mainlanders accused of possessing a number of allegedly bogus bank documents - including one with a face value of more than US$460 million - say their case has no connection with the collapsed Hong Kong Mercantile Exchange (HKMEx), the District Court heard yesterday. Dai Linyi, 55, Li Shanrong, 49, and Lian Chunren, 50, have been charged with four counts of possessing forged documents. Dai also faces a charge of overstaying. Barrister Michael Leung, representing the trio, told the court that all three defendants pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Leung added that although the media had linked the case with the HKMEx, he claimed "none of the charges [are] in connection with the HKMEx". He also said the allegedly bogus bank documents related to two of the charges were questionable as evidence. They were low quality "carbon copies", marked with the word "sample". The prosecutor yesterday told the court that the prosecution would call 11 witnesses, including three interpreters and seven police officers, to testify in the trial. They would also produce three video interviews from all three defendants in court as evidence. Judge Kevin Browne adjourned the case to January 6, 2014 for a trial expected to be heard in Chinese and last 10 days. He refused the trio bail, citing the seriousness of the charges. The allegedly bogus bank documents included copies of cheques and a letter of guarantee dated April 23, apparently promising US$460 million to a person named Zhang Jisheng. There was also a "proof of funds" statement issued by HSBC, confirming that US$10.6 billion had been deposited into a bank account in the name of the Phyllis Petroleum Group.