Carson Yeung

Birmingham City boss Carson Yeung files appeal against six-year jail term

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 27 March, 2014, 3:51am
UPDATED : Thursday, 27 March, 2014, 10:22am

Carson Yeung Ka-sing, the owner of English soccer club Birmingham City, has filed an appeal against his conviction and six-year jail term for laundering HK$721 million.

A spokesperson for the judiciary confirmed that Yeung had filed the notice of appeal within the deadline of 28 days from his sentence in District Court on March 7. The notice, which details his grounds for appeal, is not available for public inspection.

Yeung, a hairstylist-turned-businessman, was found guilty of laundering HK$721 million using five bank accounts at Wing Lung Bank and HSBC between 2001 and 2007.

During his trial the court had heard that, from 2001, various parties had made deposits into the accounts, many for no apparent reason. Some were made by securities firms and a Macau casino, others were made by unknown parties. Some 437 deposits, totalling more than HK$97 million, were made in cash.

Prosecutor John Reading SC said: "An appeal was to be expected. Defendants in these types of cases always appeal.

"He will, however, have to have substantial grounds available if he expects to obtain bail pending appeal from a Court of Appeal judge."

The prosecution will apply on April 3 to confiscate some of Yeung's assets, about HK$400 million of which have been frozen by a court injunction.

Barrister Graham Harris SC, who represented Yeung in the trial, and Yeung's solicitor, Anthony Bough, could not be reached for comment.

Jailing Yeung, Judge Douglas Yau Tak-hong had said: "I find that without his considerable skill in share dealings and connections to the Macau casinos, the laundering could not have gone on for such a long time and on such a large scale.

"Maintaining the integrity of the banking system is of paramount importance if Hong Kong is to remain an international finance centre."

Yeung took over the soccer club for HK$731 million in 2009 and was arrested in June 2011. He quit all his posts in the club's holding company last month.

A police source involved in the case said they had not received the notice of appeal yet.