Britain will not block sales of tear gas to Hong Kong following a review of its export policy after gas was used against Occupy Central protesters in September. In a written submission to British lawmakers on Monday, Foreign Office minister Hugo Swire said there was no proof that the gas deployed by police in Admiralty on September 28 had come from Britain. "After carefully reviewing one current licence, the government has decided it will not be revoked on the basis that it does not contravene the consolidated criteria" for export licences, Swire wrote. The review was launched after Hong Kong police used 87 tear gas canisters in an unsuccessful attempt to disperse pro-democracy protesters at the start of the Occupy campaign. Swire's comments echo those of Britain's Business Secretary Vince Cable, who said last month that exports would continue. In a written reply to questions from a committee of British lawmakers on arms exports, Cable said: "The foreign secretary has advised me that the use of tear gas by the Hong Kong police was an 'uncharacteristic' response at an earlier stage of the protests … and it was not indicative of a wider pattern of behaviour." Official records show that since 2011, Hong Kong's Government Logistics Department and police bought at least 14,000 rounds of tear gas from British supplier Chemring. The sales were worth HK$13.8 million. Yesterday, Britain's Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said applications for the sale of tear gas were approved based on international criteria and would be withdrawn if they were no longer met. A spokesman said the department welcomed a pledge by the Hong Kong police to exercise maximum tolerance, adding: "We have consistently called on all sides to ensure that the demonstrations are peaceful and in accordance with the law." In 2011, Britain banned tear gas exports to Bahrain after it was used in a crackdown on democracy supporters.