Hong Kong dementia sufferer who went missing on Shanghai tour is found
The man was found unharmed and is in the custody of immigration police in Shanghai
A Hong Kong man suffering from dementia who had been missing in Shanghai since Friday was found unharmed on Monday.
A source in the immigration office said the man, 58, has been placed under care by officers from the Immigration Division of the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in Shanghai.
“We will see if the man would like to stay there for the time being or would like to return to Hong Kong,” the source said. “We will provide assistance in accordance with his wishes.”
The man, said to have mild dementia, was on a five-day eastern China tour run by China Travel Service. The tour, which had about 20 people on it, started on Tuesday.
On Friday, between 5pm and 6.30pm, the man went missing at a soup dumpling restaurant on the well-known Nanjing Road Pedestrian Walkway, where he was dining with a male friend.
China Travel Service’s deputy general manager Ng Hi-on said the tour leader had searched for the man and filed a report at a police station nearby at about 7pm.
Their search lasted until about midnight. They went out for him again the next morning but still could not find him.
The tour leader reported the case to the local police again the next day, when the incident was accepted as a valid missing person case.
The travel agency also alerted Hong Kong’s Immigration Department and Travel Industry Council.
The department said on Sunday it had contacted the Hong Kong government’s Economic and Trade Office in Shanghai and would provide assistance according to the requests from the man’s family.
Additional reporting by Ernest Kao