-
Advertisement
Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge
Hong KongHong Kong Economy

Bridge over troubled waters: Hong Kong government should publicise monitoring work on bridge to Zhuhai and Macau every month, says critic

Highways Department admits landing point has shifted but still aims to complete subsea tunnel to Tuen Mun by end of 2018

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
The government previously delayed the completion deadline of the bridge’s Hong Kong section to the end of 2017. Photo: Felix Wong
Cannix Yau

The government should publicise the monitoring results of construction work on the bridge linking Hong Kong with Zhuhai and Macau every month so as to ease public concern about the repeated drifting of an artificial island, a critic of the massive infrastructure project says.

Concerns have been raised about whether the drifting will continue intermittently or is just sporadic in nature. “If the movement proves to be periodical, it means that the tunnel linking the island [to Tuen Mun] can never be completed,” warned Professional Commons convenor Albert Lai Kwong-tak.

“The government should address public concerns by releasing its monitoring data every month to update the project’s progress.”

Advertisement
Interactive special: Three cities, one bridge

Lai made the call as the Highways Department admitted on Tuesday night that the landing point at the northwest corner of the island had moved from 1 to 2.9 metres, not 3.5 metres as reported by veteran journalist Howard Winn.

Advertisement

It also insisted it still aimed to complete the subsea tunnel by the end of 2018.

“After assessments, reclamation consultants believed the seawall’s condition was stable ... The Highways Department will continue to closely monitor the situation,” the department said in a statement, adding that tunnel contractors had started to conduct strengthening works at the seawall.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x