Nothing unusual was found in 40 samples of food supplied to Hong Kong’s Centre for Food Safety from Tianjin following deadly chemical explosions, the secretary for food and health said today The centre collected the samples after warehouse explosions last month in the northern port city and no abnormalities were found. “Experts from the country, such as environmental experts, have collected many samples from sites outside the explosion’s core area,” said health secretary Dr Ko Wing-man at the end of a three-day visit to Beijing. “Up to now, according to the information I have, there are no abnormalities found in the water, soil, or air.” Ko also said the mainland’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine cares about the export of food to Hong Kong, and will strengthen tests on food supplied from Tianjin to the city. READ MORE: Calls for food safety officers from Hong Kong to be posted abroad after Taiwan gutter oil scandal The Centre of Food Safety will also strengthen its spot-checking, to ensure the quality of food supplied to Hong Kong. Two blasts ripped through the industrial Binhai New Area in Tianjin last on August 12, killing 85 people – including firefighters – and sending shockwaves as far as 20km away. Hundreds were reported injured and swathes of buildings, apartments, vehicles and other infrastructure were burned or destroyed. State media said a shipment of explosive materials had ignited at a warehouse run by Tianjin Dongjiang Port Ruihai International Logistics, which handles sodium cyanide and the toxic toluene diisocyanate, and triggered two explosions that occurred within seconds of each other.