Car concern: Residents of scenic South Lantau criticise plan to allow more vehicles on roads
Scheme will initially allow 25 non-local private cars into restricted area of island

A scheme to let 25 private cars into the restricted and ecologically sensitive southern part of Lantau Island on weekdays has been met with criticism from concern groups and residents.
The Save Lantau Alliance, which has been campaigning against opening up South Lantau to outside traffic, said the move failed to reflect true public opinion and would only exacerbate poor traffic conditions on the island.
“This is an irresponsible move,” said chairman Eric Kwok Ping. “There is only one main road [from Tung Chung] into south Lantau and it is already in primitive shape ... full of narrow bends, potholes, traps and roaming cows.”
Kwok, an indigenous resident of Pui O, said the failure of the existing traffic infrastructure to cope with more cars could cause more traffic jams and accidents as well as making it harder for islanders to drive to town and go to work.
At the moment, no private cars are allowed on the roads of South Lantau, including Tung Chung Road and South Lantau Road, except for locals and people carrying out business with permits.
On Monday, the Transport Department launched a scheme to let 25 private cars per weekday into South Lantau for leisure and recreational purposes, in an attempt to attract more local tourists. Five of that quota will be reserved for electric vehicles.
The department had proposed a daily quota of 50 last year but has since decided to implement the measures in phases.