image

Typhoon Hato

Guangdong province sends 20 water trucks to typhoon-hit Macau as Carrie Lam says Hong Kong will help with disaster relief

Typhoon-devastated Macau raised a standby signal No 1 at 11.30am on Saturday, as tropical storm Pakhar approaches city still picking up the pieces from the aftermath of Hato

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 26 August, 2017, 11:35am
UPDATED : Saturday, 26 August, 2017, 7:04pm

The government of Guangdong province has sent 20 water trucks to the streets of Macau to help restore the water supply in the city. Macau authorities said the water supply has improved in the past 24 hours, but some buildings, particularly high-rises, are still facing difficulties.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor has said the city could offer assistance to Macau for disaster relief after Typhoon Hato left 10 people dead and more than 200 injured in the former Portuguese enclave.

Lam said she had already conveyed the message yesterday to Fernando Chui Sai-on, the chief executive of Macau, adding the engineering experts of the two cities could have more exchanges on flood prevention in future.

Typhoon-devastated Macau raised a standby signal No 1 at 11.30am on Saturday, as another tropical storm approaches the city still picking up the pieces from the aftermath of Hato.

“Tropical storm Pakhar has moved across Luzon Island [in the Philippines] this morning and entered the South China Sea,” Macau’s weather forecaster said at 10.05am.

A spokeswoman for the Weather Bureau said the chances of a No 3 signal being raised at midnight were very high.

Cost to casinos may have been key to Macau’s late warning on Typhoon Hato

The storm is expected to hit Macau at noon on Sunday, when the warning signal could reach No 8. But given the information available at the moment, the probability of a signal 8 is still low, the spokeswoman said.

With the approach of the tropical storm, some areas might suffer minor floods on Sunday with the possibility of more serious floods not being ruled out. The spokeswoman called on residents to take precautions.

Typhoon Hato, which slammed the former Portuguese colony on Wednesday, has claimed 10 lives so far.

Watch: Macau struggles to recover from Typhoon Hato as Typhoon Pakhar looms on the horizon

Macau authorities on Friday night said they were carrying out recovery work at three flooded underground car parks amid fears that up to 10 people could have been trapped inside by the worst storm to hit the casino hub in more than half a century.

Chinese People’s Liberation Army soldiers were deployed on Friday for the first time in the city’s history to help with recovery work.

Chinese soldiers were also seen on the streets of a neighbourhood named San Kio, in Macau peninsula, cleaning debris on Saturday morning.

Authorities on Saturday were focused on removing tonnes of trash from the streets and ensuring public health safety.

“We don’t have much time because another typhoon is on the way ... These are 24 golden hours. We know that the next typhoon will complicate things,” said José Tavares, president of the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau, on Friday evening.

SCMP Editorial: Lessons of Macau’s typhoon tragedy