Tropical Storm Mawar

Typhoon signal No 3 downgraded to No 1 as Mawar moves away from Hong Kong

Education Bureau says afternoon kindergarten classes set to resume

PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 September, 2017, 8:38am
UPDATED : Monday, 04 September, 2017, 11:25am

The Hong Kong Observatory downgraded its typhoon warning signal from No 3 to No 1 on Monday morning as tropical storm Mawar gradually moved away and weakened, prompting a gradual return to business as usual in the city.

The No 3 signal was issued at 10.40pm on Sunday as showers fell. At 10.20am, the Observatory issued the less severe No 1 signal.

The maximum sustained wind speeds recorded at Waglan Island, Cheung Chau and Chek Lap Kok were 62km/h, 49km/h and 46km/h respectively.

Hong Kong Observatory issues No 3 storm warning as Mawar edges closer

Weather officials said Mawar’s rainband would bring squally showers to Hong Kong on Monday morning.

Between 5.45am and 6.45am, Tuen Mun recorded rainfall of up to 34mm, while Tsuen Wan recorded up to 32mm.

Citing the No 1 signal, the Education Bureau said kindergarten classes were set to resume this afternoon.

Officials had suspended morning kindergarten classes as well as schools for children with physical or intellectual disabilities.

The Social Welfare Department advised the public not to take their children or family members to centres for care services or activities, even though they would remain open and function as a last alternative for those in need.

Mawar was the third major storm to hit Hong Kong in just two weeks, after Typhoon Hato and Severe Tropical Storm Pakhar triggered the No 10 and No 8 signals respectively.

At 7am, Mawar was estimated to be about 120km north-northeast of Hong Kong and was forecast to move northwest or west-northwest at about 12km/h further inland into Guangdong province, dissipating gradually.

“In the next few hours, Mawar will be closest to the territory, skirting about 100km or more to the northeast of Hong Kong,” the Observatory said on Monday morning.

On August 23, Hato slammed into Macau, killing 10 people, injuring 244, grounding flights and cutting water and power supplies to much of the casino hub. In Hong Kong, economic losses were estimated to be as high as HK$8 billion.

The Macau government sought help from the local garrison of the People’s Liberation Army, stationed there since the city’s return to Chinese sovereignty in 1999. A thousand soldiers helped with the clean-up and were still on deployment when Pakhar swept by just days later.

In Hong Kong, rescue services plucked 11 sailors from a ship that went down in rough seas 64 nautical miles east of the city during Pakhar. Some 160 firefighters went to the aid of two hikers who were stranded on Kowloon Peak.