Five more people were struck down by measles in Hong Kong on Monday, including the first pregnant woman to fall ill in this year’s outbreak. Three were airport employees. The new cases brought the number of measles infections in the city since the start of 2019 to 61. Some 29 have been airport or airline personnel. There were only 15 cases in Hong Kong in the whole of last year. The 28-year-old pregnant woman had a good prior health record and had received two doses of the measles vaccine, but nevertheless developed a rash on Thursday and was diagnosed on Monday. She first sought help at Pok Oi Hospital in Yuen Long on Friday, and was later transferred to Tuen Mun Hospital. The Centre for Health Protection on Monday said she was in a stable condition. She had no travel history during the period between infection and developing symptoms or the time in which she could have infected others. The people she lived with were asymptomatic. She underwent a regular antenatal check-up at Madam Yung Fung Shee Maternal and Child Health Centre in Yuen Long during her infectious period. Infection control measures were consequently stepped up at the centre. Measles outbreak spreads to Australia, prompting renewed campaign to promote education and vaccination Dr Kun Ka-yan, a specialist in obstetrics and gynaecology, said a pregnant woman with measles would have a higher chance of miscarriage or premature delivery. “If the infection happened after 12 weeks of pregnancy ... it would increase the chance of a premature birth. If the infection happens before 12 weeks, it will increase the chance of miscarriage,” Kun said. Measles in the final stage of pregnancy could lead to the baby becoming infected at birth, and in turn serious conditions such as encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain. The three infected airport workers were a 25-year-old female baggage service officer, a 23-year-old male passenger reception officer and a 29-year-old male passenger service officer. The woman had recently travelled to Japan and the 23-year-old man had been to South Korea during his infectious period. All three had received two doses of the measles vaccine. All had already been discharged from hospital by Monday. The remaining infection was confirmed as an imported case involving a 41-year-old non-local man. He had recently travelled to the Philippines and his vaccination history was unknown. He was also in a stable condition in hospital. Meanwhile, the Hospital Authority said it would widen its measles vaccination programme for medical workers at public hospitals. All staff at emergency units and general outpatient triage stations will be covered from Wednesday.