-
Advertisement
Coronavirus pandemic
Hong KongHealth & Environment

Coronavirus: airlines reluctant to bring Hongkongers back from Japan over infection fears, government says

  • Dozens who had been in close contact with passengers infected on Diamond Princess stranded, government admits
  • Those that remain are dispersed across 11 different prefectures and cities in the country

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Hong Kong residents who had been passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship step off a chartered flight after returning from Japan. Photo: Xinhua
Zoe Low

A number of airlines have expressed reservations about flying home the dozens of Hongkongers who have been in close contact with passengers infected with the coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, the government said on Thursday evening.

The problem was acknowledged in a statement that revealed two more Hongkongers aboard the ill-fated vessel had been confirmed to have the virus that causes Covid-19.

The newest cases, who were close contacts of those previously known to be infected, bring the total number of infected Hongkongers who were aboard the Diamond Princess to 72, out of a total 705 infected passengers.

Advertisement

A spokesman said about 100 Hong Kong passengers, including other close contacts, were now being treated or quarantined at 11 different prefectures and cities in Japan, including Kyoto and Chiba.

The statement provided a glimpse into the problems the government has faced when trying to fly Hongkongers classified as close contacts back to the city.

“For the past few days, the government has been trying to devise a plan to bring close contacts home. However, because of the risk they pose, several airlines approached by the government have expressed reservations to take them on,” the statement said.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x