Advertisement
Only major Hong Kong museum defying coronavirus by staying open suffers collapse in visitor numbers
- Hong Kong Maritime Museum is the one attraction of its kind in the city to accept visitors over the last few weeks
- Government-run facilities have been closed since January 29 as part of the emergency response to Covid-19
2-MIN READ2-MIN

The only major museum in Hong Kong to stay open over the last few weeks of the coronavirus crisis has suffered a collapse in visitor numbers.
Bosses at the privately owned Hong Kong Maritime Museum in Central have refused to shut the waterfront attraction, calling their decision a “vote for Hong Kong”.
Advertisement
But they welcomed just 3,800 people from January 1 to February 23, down 78 per cent from the same period last year, even with all government-run rivals closed since late January.
Museum director Richard Wesley said fewer than 30 people a day visited the 45,000 sq ft site in February as the Covid-19 epidemic and anti-government protests sparked by the now-withdrawn extradition bill took their toll.
Advertisement
“Since June last year, there has been a sharp slide in visitation,” he told the Post. “Obviously with the civil disorder, then the coronavirus, visitations basically collapsed.”
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x