Coronavirus: Hong Kong confirms no new infections; medical condition of Saudi Arabian consulate worker’s daughter improving
- Patient, 13, was revealed to be in a critical condition with Covid-19 over the weekend, but sources say her health is improving
- Hong Kong records no new infections for the fifth time this month, extends its run without local cases to 49 days
Monday’s zero caseload extends the city’s run without local infections to 49 days. The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases remains at 11,978, with 212 related deaths.
Medical sources said the girl – revealed as critically ill on Saturday after her infection was confirmed last Wednesday – was in a better condition on Monday. Her fever had subsided and inflammation levels were going down, according to one of the sources.
The insider said the patient had a pre-existing health condition which was likely to be a factor in her falling critically ill. She is being treated in a Hong Kong public hospital’s intensive care unit.
They had ventured to the Citygate shopping centre in Tung Chung, the nearby cable car terminal and Cityplaza in Taikoo Shing.
The pair were originally granted exemption from mandatory quarantine when they arrived in Hong Kong from Saudi Arabia on July 16.
Centre for Health Protection controller Dr Ronald Lam Man-kin said last week that they were seeking advice from the Department of Justice on whether to take legal action over the matter, as the issue was likely to involve diplomatic immunity.