Coronavirus Hong Kong: unprecedented use of new emergency alert system to publicise conversion of Queen Elizabeth Hospital saved time, city leader says
- ‘I think the message sent yesterday was suitable,’ Carrie Lam said of the mass alert during a press briefing on Thursday. ‘Nobody can question that we are in a public health emergency right now’
- Development minister Michael Wong Wai-lun and security minister Chris Tang Ping-keung also attended to explain matters relating to the construction and management of new isolation facilities

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor offered an update on new community isolation facilities being built for Covid-19 patients and explained a recent decision to issue a mass emergency alert at her second-ever daily epidemic press conference on Thursday.
Development minister Michael Wong Wai-lun and security minister Chris Tang Ping-keung also attended to discuss matters relating to the construction and management of the isolation facilities.
The government on Wednesday evening sent out an unprecedented emergency alert via mobile phones in both English and Chinese informing residents that Queen Elizabeth Hospital had been converted into a designated Covid-19 facility on Wednesday evening.
Lam on Thursday described the measure as being intended to save time, and “suitable” given the significance of the announcement.
Follow the Post’s coverage of Lam’s press conference here.
Vaccinations to be focus on Friday
Lam said Friday’s press conference would focus on vaccination. Secretary for the Civil Service Patrick Nip Tak-kuen, who is responsible for the city’s vaccination campaign, and Secretary for Labour and Welfare Law Chi-kwong, who is in charge of elderly care policies, will join her for the briefing.