Advertisement
Coronavirus Hong Kong
Hong KongHealth & Environment

Coronavirus: Hong Kong officials detect new cluster in Kennedy Town, place estate under lockdown, but experts urge public not to worry

  • Health officials reveal that five cases, involving four families, have recently been uncovered in West Terrace, one of five blocks in Sai Wan Estate
  • Hong Kong records 294 new Covid-19 cases on Thursday and one more virus-related death

4-MIN READ4-MIN
78
Sai Wan Estate in Kennedy Town. Photo: SCMP
Elizabeth CheungandSammy Heung
Hong Kong health authorities have identified a new Covid-19 cluster in a public housing block in Kennedy Town and locked down the entire estate for compulsory testing of residents, although two​ government pandemic advisers​ have urged the public not to be too worried about the situation.

Health officials on Thursday revealed that five cases, involving four families in different flats on separate floors, had recently been uncovered in West Terrace, one of five blocks in Sai Wan Estate.

Sewage samples taken on the estate had tested positive for Covid-19, and the “viral load there was rather high, especially in West Terrace”, said Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable diseases branch of the Centre for Health Protection.

Advertisement

“But there could also be cases in other blocks such as Centre Terrace, East Terrace and North Terrace,” she said, noting sewage samples collected from those buildings had also tested positive.

She also said a small outbreak had been uncovered at a billiards hall in Hung Hom involving four patients who had visited the venue around the same time on Monday.

Advertisement

The developments came as Hong Kong recorded 294 new Covid-19 cases on Thursday and one more coronavirus-related death. The city’s tally of confirmed cases rose to 1,207,665, with 9,356 related fatalities.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x