Advertisement
Coronavirus Hong Kong
Hong KongHealth & Environment

Coronavirus: Hong Kong No 2 official doubles down on ‘0+3’ travel rule, urges caution on further easing and insists city cannot ‘lie flat’

  • Chief Secretary Eric Chan on Sunday echoes city leader’s remarks on proceeding carefully in pandemic fight
  • He touts benefits reaped under current system, pointing to more international events being held, and uptick in tourist inquiries at visitor centres

3-MIN READ3-MIN
58
Arrivals at Hong Kong International Airport, which has become a livelier scene after pandemic travel rules were eased. Photo: Jelly Tse
Tony Cheung
Hong Kong’s No 2 official has insisted the current “0+3” Covid-19 regime requiring incoming travellers to undergo three days of home medical surveillance with limited citywide movement is the best approach for now, amid mounting pressure from the business and political sectors to further ease rules.

Chief Secretary Eric Chan Kwok-ki said on his Facebook page on Sunday that to fight the pandemic, authorities must be cautious in assessing risks, or the city’s “loss would be bigger than the gains” if infections rebounded.

“Before any measures can be adjusted, the government needs to juggle factors, including public health and overall economic interest. We are committed to controlling the epidemic and avoiding any rebound, as we hope there will be no turning back on our road back to normal,” he said.

Hong Kong Chief Secretary Eric Chan. Photo: Dickson Lee
Hong Kong Chief Secretary Eric Chan. Photo: Dickson Lee

The city on Sunday recorded 4,890 new coronavirus cases, 328 of which were imported, two days after the Centre for Health Protection said daily infections had plateaued at between 3,500 and 4,500 following a steady drop from a peak of 10,586 on September 1.

Advertisement

Another three coronavirus-related deaths were reported, bringing the total number to 10,218. The overall number of cases was 1,801,814.

Chan weighed in on the issue a day after Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu marked his 100th day in office by striking a cautious note on pandemic control. Despite having removed hotel quarantine for overseas arrivals under the “0+3” scheme, Lee said while economic and social activities had been gaining steam, the government “cannot take things lightly”.
Advertisement

Businesses and politicians have been piling pressure on authorities for the scheme to be relaxed to a “0+0” plan, essentially fully opening up to the world.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x