Advertisement
Hong Kong protests
Hong KongHong Kong Economy

Amid Hong Kong protesters’ attacks, 500 ATMs out of service for the weekend

  • Monetary Authority cites vandalism and safety concerns as reasons for about 15 per cent of city’s cash machines being closed

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Bank of China ATMs in Tsuen Wan were damaged during a protest on October 13. Photo: K.Y. Cheng
Denise Tsang

About 500 ATMs across Hong Kong will be out of service over the weekend, because of damage by radical protesters or because of “safety considerations”, the city’s de facto central bank warned on Saturday.

The Monetary Authority said about 15 per cent of the city’s 3,300 ATMs were down, citing reports from banks. It urged customers to use the 85 per cent of machines that were in service, or use online banking.

Demanding that banks step up replenishment of cash for ATMs over the weekend, it said it had been informed the affected machines would be “out of service temporarily, due to vandalisation of the facilities or security and safety considerations”.

Advertisement

The banking watchdog did not reveal which banks’ ATMs were affected. In the last month or so, protesters have trashed or set on fire Bank of China and China Construction Bank branches and ATMs in Mong Kok, Tsuen Wan and Sha Tin.

Rallies were scheduled for Saturday evening in Central, with a large march in Tsim Sha Tsui the next day.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x