A struggling amusement park in Hong Kong is to launch a light show costing more than HK$100 million (US$13 million) as it bids to boost business following a tourism downturn caused by months of unrest. Ocean Park’s operations and entertainment executive director Timothy Ng Sau-kin said on Thursday that the new night time tourism experience Gala of Lights was a nine-figure investment. It was part-funded by a HK$310 million (US$40 million) government fund and will launch on Friday. Ng said he hoped the project would attract daytime visitors to stick around for the night show and have dinner at the park. “This can help us boost footfall and income,” he said. Almost two years in the making, visitors can enjoy two main multimedia shows at the Grand Aquarium and Aqua City Lagoon, featuring flaming jets, original music and stage performances by artists from 6.30pm to 10pm every evening. Through light projection, revellers can enjoy a performance themed on sea nature and another focusing on Hong Kong features, including the iconic skyline of Victoria Harbour. New exclusive promotions for local residents were also unveiled as the park marks its 43rd birthday on Friday. Children aged 11 or below can enter the park for free from January 10 to March 31. A child ticket originally cost HK$249 (US$32). Visitors aged 65 or above can receive a 30 per cent off at all food kiosks and designated restaurants on top of receiving free admission. Since June, the city’s civil unrest, triggered by a now-withdrawn extradition bill, has taken a heavy toll on local tourism. Ocean Park recorded a 60 per cent plunge in visitor numbers between July and December compared with the same period in 2018. Last week, the park announced it would scrap an annual salary review for about 2,000 full-time staff for 2020 and imposed measures such as reining in operating and discretionary expenses, stricter energy conservation and suspending all but essential recruitment in a bid to avoid redundancies. On Wednesday, the Post exclusively reported that the attraction would seek government support for a HK$10 billion (US$1.3 billion) rescue plan for a revamp in the face of financial turmoil and strong competition from across the region. A source with knowledge of the package said the resort in Southern district needed an immediate cash injection to stay afloat after falling visitor numbers in the four consecutive years to 2019 brought its finances to the brink. Chief executive Matthias Li Sing-chung said the park had formulated a new proposal on its development to the government but remained tight-lipped over the details. “We, of course, hope to have the support from the public and the government,” he said. Lawmakers will discuss the plan on January 20.