Hong Kong courts

Wardrobe murder accused fathered child in mainland China after fleeing Hong Kong, court hears

Oscar Mok told Hong Kong police ‘a full family had been torn apart’ after he was arrested over the killing of former girlfriend Arbe Chan

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 26 April, 2018, 3:10pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 26 April, 2018, 10:19pm

A Hong Kong man standing trial for strangling his former girlfriend and stuffing the flight attendant in a wardrobe had since found a new lover in mainland China and was the father of a two-year-old son, the court heard on Thursday.

Oscar Mok Chun-yin, 30, has denied murdering Arbe Chan Man-yi, 26, but does not dispute that he killed her, because he felt an uncontrollable rage upon finding out she had a new beau.

But he also told police in an interview that he had built a new family after killing Chan at her Allway Gardens flat in Tsuen Wan on December 4, 2013.

“I can’t live up to my girlfriend on the mainland. I don’t know what my son will be like. He’s only two years old,” he said, during a recorded interview played at the High Court on the sixth day of the trial.

“A full family has been torn apart.”

Mok fled Hong Kong for the mainland after allegedly murdering the Dragonair flight attendant in 2013. Mainland authorities handed him back to Hong Kong in February last year, after which he gave the recorded interview to police.

‘If I can’t have something, no one can’

In the earlier part of the interview played on Wednesday, Mok told police he killed Chan in a rage after finding out she had found a new boyfriend.

But the segment on Thursday showed him declaring he had moved on. He expressed remorse, saying: “For what I have done, I regret it very much.”

Mok also said he knew there was nothing he could to do to make things better for Chan’s loved ones.

“I don’t know how to apologise to them,” he said.

Prosecutors allege that on December 4, Mok went to Chan’s home in the hopes of a reconciliation but the encounter took a fatal turn.

Body-in-cement suspect ‘planned to steal HK$10 million from safe’

According to the police recording, Mok said he learned about Chan’s new-found romance when he checked her phone while she was in the bathroom.

Overcome by rage, Mok said he then squeezed her neck until she had shown no signs of life. He then hid her body in a wardrobe to buy time and fled.

The case continues on Friday before Mr Justice Joseph Yau Chi-lap.