image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Hong Kong policeman arrested on suspicion of indecently assaulting woman

Suspect was previously suspended for trespassing in women’s changing room at police station

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 01 May, 2018, 8:48am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 01 May, 2018, 4:06pm

A Hong Kong policeman has been arrested for allegedly indecently assaulting a woman less than a year and a half after he was suspended for trespassing in the women’s changing room at a police station.

The 36-year-old constable, who was formerly from the New Territories North Region’s Quick Reaction Force, was picked up in Tai Po on suspicion of assaulting a 21-year-old woman inside the building where he lived.

The incident took place in Fu Shin Estate at about 12.30am on Sunday. A police source said security footage showed a man who looked like the officer had shared a lift in the building with the victim. The man allegedly assaulted her in a public area soon after she stepped out of the lift.

The officer was arrested on Monday afternoon.

Former Hong Kong officer jailed for 16 years, 8 months over sexual assaults on two underage daughters

The officer, who joined the force in May 2009, had previously been suspended from duty over a separate incident at the New Territories North regional headquarters in Tai Po on December 30, 2016.

The source said the constable claimed on that day that he had a headache and could not take a shift. He said he needed to go to the men’s changing room for a rest but was later seen in the women’s changing room, while two female officers were inside. They reported the incident to their superiors.

The constable claimed he was in the room to look for a lost item.

Hong Kong police officer gets 5½ years’ jail for hotel room rape

The source said police legal advisers from the Department of Justice found there was insufficient evidence in this case to raise a criminal charge. The department then launched a disciplinary review.

The officer was suspended on January 4 last year, while a disciplinary proceeding involving six charges against him was ongoing. It was expected to be concluded in August this year.

A police spokesman said the department attached great importance to the conduct of police officers and would not tolerate any illegal acts.