image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Teenage boy among two more suspects arrested over brazen HK$23 million robbery at Hong Kong jewellery store

Boy, 17, believed to have threatened shop staff with retractable baton during hold-up in Tsim Sha Tsui, police say

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 10 July, 2018, 9:24pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 11 July, 2018, 10:59am

A 17-year-old boy was one of two more suspects arrested in connection with a brazen robbery in which a gang of masked thieves made off with HK$23 million (US$3 million) worth of valuables from a jewellery store in Hong Kong nine days ago.

The boy was believed to have threatened shop staff with a retractable baton during the hold-up in Tsim Sha Tsui, one of the city’s busiest shopping districts, Chief Inspector Yeung San-pong of Kowloon West regional crime unit said on Tuesday.

He said the other suspect – a 21-year-old man of Pakistani origin – was thought to have brandished a knife at employees and customers during the smash-and-grab raid at VIP Watch & Jewellery on July 1.

The teenager was picked up on Monday night when officers raided a flat in the northwestern town of Tin Shui Wai. No weapons or stolen property were found in the flat.

At about 6pm on Tuesday, the hooded and handcuffed boy was escorted back to the shop, at the junction of Haiphong Road and Hankow Road, to reconstruct the crime. About 30 minutes later, officers picked up the other suspect in a Yat Tung Estate flat in Tung Chung, Lantau.

Police on hunt for suspect in HK$130,000 snatch theft in Yau Ma Tei

Police arrested two others in connection with the robbery last week.

On Tuesday night, the teenager and 21-year-old man were being held at the headquarters of Kowloon West regional crime unit for questioning and had not been charged.

Last Thursday, police arrested a 27-year-old injured man in a hotel room in Tin Shui Wai. Officers said he had suffered burns to his right arm and legs and was being treated at Tuen Mun Hospital. He was charged with one count of conspiracy to rob and one count of arson. Because of his injuries, he was absent from court last week. The case was adjourned.

Woman loses HK$10 million in ‘black money’ scam

On Friday, a 23-year-old woman was arrested for aiding and abetting the robbers. She was released on bail pending further investigations.

Police said a Hong Kong man was on the run and appealed for anyone with information to contact investigators on 3661 8286.