Video shows two suspects on the run after robbing jewellery store staff of US$786,000 at knifepoint

Police roadblocks set up in Kowloon to track down suspects’ white getaway car

PUBLISHED : Friday, 21 September, 2018, 11:58am
UPDATED : Friday, 21 September, 2018, 10:53pm

A video showing two suspects on the run after allegedly robbing two Hong Kong jewellery company employees of US$786,000 at knifepoint has surfaced online, as police continue a citywide manhunt.

The incident took place on Hok Yuen Street East, near the junction with Hung Hom Road in Hung Hom, just before 10.30am on Friday.

Chief Inspector Wong Chi-yu of the Kowloon City district crime squad said two rucksacks were taken, containing US$740,000 and HK$363,060 (US$46,000) – a total value of about US$786,000 in cash – along with six crossed cheques.

He said three robbers attacked the two male employees, aged 38 and 26, with knives before fleeing with the two rucksacks – one green and the other black.

The trio then fled along Hok Yuen Street East before jumping into a white Honda Jazz getaway car driven by a fourth suspect.

After the incident, heavily armed police officers set up roadblocks on major motorways in west Kowloon in an effort to track down the white getaway car used by the robbers. No arrests have been made so far.

At about 1pm, the vehicle was found abandoned outside Olympian City on Hoi Ting Road, Mong Kok.

"Two bloodstained knives were found along with hats and face masks on board the vehicle," Wong said, adding that the car had been stolen in Tuen Mun last month.

Police said the 38-year-old staff member suffered three knife wounds on his legs while his colleague had a cut on his left leg. They were in stable condition at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei.

Describing the crime as pre-planned, a police source said: "It was an organised robbery, and the victims were ambushed. It appeared the robbers knew when and where the victims would appear."

He said the attackers had slashed the victims' legs in an apparent attempt to stop them from giving chase.

Seven men arrested for HK$10 million robbery in Tsim Sha Tsui

About six weeks ago, a gang of robbers attacked three employees from a money changer shop and escaped with a suitcase holding HK$10 million. Seven men were later arrested, but no money was recovered.

In a high-profile case of a similar nature in February, five men were robbed of two suitcases containing more than 450 million Japanese yen (US$4 million) from a money changer on Carnarvon Road, Tsim Sha Tsui.

Police arrested three men and recovered the money after intercepting the getaway car on a flyover outside Mei Foo Sun Chuen housing estate in Lai Chi Kok within the day. They arrested another three men later.