image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Man who escaped from Hong Kong police while using hospital toilet to be remanded in custody

  • Leon Li, 34, did not apply for bail, and will also face charges in a separate case from 2015
  • Two Chinese nationals have also been charged in connection with the escape
PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 November, 2018, 4:01pm
UPDATED : Monday, 19 November, 2018, 10:19pm

The 34-year-old Dominican Republic national accused of escaping from Hong Kong police last week will be remanded in custody, a court heard on Monday.

Appearing before Principal Magistrate Peter Law in Eastern Court with two other defendants – both Chinese – linked to the case, Leon Li was not required to enter a plea and did not make an application for bail.

One of the co-defendants, Sang Tian, 33, who is accused of helping Li escape from police, was denied bail.

Dressed in shorts and a white tracksuit jacket, Li appeared calm and glanced occasionally around the courtroom as he listened to the proceedings through an interpreter.

The trio will appear in court again on December 17. The court will also handle an unsettled 2015 case involving Li.

In June 2015, Li was arrested and charged with possession of a fake ID card. He was granted bail but failed to return to court to complete the bail payment procedure, the court heard.

In the latest case Li has been charged with one count of escaping from legal custody on November 14. The other two defendants, Sang, and Zhan Guiyou, 31, face one count of aiding and abetting escape from legal custody.

Sang, who arrived in the city with Li, was accused of helping Li in the escape between Wednesday, November 14 and Friday November 16, while Zhan, who entered the city on a two-way permit, was said to have aided Lee between Wednesday and Saturday.

The three claimed to be businessmen.

Leon Li was recaptured on Saturday, 36 hours after fleeing police through the ceiling of a hospital bathroom

On Wednesday, the 34-year-old Li, who has been on the run from the police since 2015, was arrested at Hong Kong International Airport when he entered the city with a Dominican passport and was later detained in Central police station.

He was sent to Queen Mary Hospital on Thursday night for medical treatment and is said to have escaped from police custody while using the toilet in hospital the following morning. He was recaptured in Wan Chai on Saturday night.

The two other men, who were believed to be connected to the case, were also arrested, separately, at the airport and in Wan Chai over the weekend.