Three Chilean women arrested for stealing bag containing 880,000 yuan from businessman’s car in Hong Kong

  • Victim checked behind vehicle after being told he had dropped cash, but returned to find bag missing
  • Trio, aged between 32 and 60, were carrying HK$390,000 at time of arrest
PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 20 November, 2018, 4:00pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 21 November, 2018, 4:32pm

Three Chilean women believed to have been members of a South American gang that stole a bag containing 880,000 yuan (US$126,700) from a businessman in Hong Kong last week had been arrested, police said on Tuesday.

The trio, aged between 32 and 60, were taken into custody in Yau Ma Tei on Monday afternoon, according to Inspector Bella Chan Wing of the Mong Kok criminal investigation unit. HK$390,000 in cash was seized.

Police are still looking for at least two men in connection with the incident that allegedly took place on Shanghai Street near the junction with Soy Street in Mong Kok on Friday night.

The 40-year-old businessman was carrying 880,000 yuan from a money exchange shop nearby when he returned to his car at Shanghai Street. As he was about to drive off, two men knocked on the door and told him he had dropped some money on the floor behind the vehicle, Chan said.

“When he got out of the car and went to check, two of the arrested suspects took this opportunity to steal the bag carrying 880,000 yuan from the vehicle,” she added.

Police believe the third suspect acted as a lookout for the others.

The victim realised the money was missing when he returned to his car. He called police at 7.46pm.

After checking surveillance camera footage, plainclothes officers lay in wait at Parkes Street, Yau Ma Tei on Monday afternoon. The three women aged were arrested at about 3.30pm.

Police believe the HK$390,000 found on the suspects was part of the stolen cash that had been exchanged for Hong Kong dollars.

At about midnight, the trio, who were hooded and handcuffed, were escorted to a flat in Kingland Apartments on Nathan Road, Mong Kok for a search. Clothes they were wearing at the time of alleged theft were seized.

As of 1pm on Tuesday, the three women were still being detained at Mong Kok Police Station for questioning and had not been charged.

The investigation is ongoing, and police say further arrests are possible.