image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Indonesian domestic helper arrested in Hong Kong after premature baby boy found abandoned in shopping mall toilet

  • The boy, of five months’ gestation, was found by a cleaner inside a bin at Tsz Wan Shan Shopping Centre
  • He was certified dead soon after arriving at hospital
PUBLISHED : Saturday, 01 December, 2018, 4:47pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 01 December, 2018, 11:10pm

A 31-year-old domestic helper was arrested in Saturday’s early hours after a severely premature baby boy was found abandoned in a shopping mall toilet.

The baby, of only five months’ gestation, was found unconscious at the Tsz Wan Shan mall at 3.46pm and was certified dead soon after being taken to Kwong Wah Hospital in Yau Ma Tei.

The helper, an Indonesian national, was arrested at her home near the shopping mall at 1.30am, according to police.

“The arrest came after we analysed CCTV footage from the shopping mall, shops and nearby buildings,” a police source said, adding that the woman was sent for medical checks and had been held for questioning.

She was arrested on suspicion of concealing the birth of a child – an offence that carries a two-year maximum prison term.

The baby boy was found by a 62-year-old cleaner inside a bin in the ladies’ toilet in Tsz Wan Shan Shopping Centre. He still had his umbilical cord attached.

A police spokesman said an autopsy would confirm the cause of death.

There have been similar cases in the city this year. In June, a 28-year-old woman was charged with one count of infanticide and one count of concealing a birth after an abandoned newborn girl was found dead inside a plastic bag in a trolley outside the rubbish collection point on Yau Oi Estate in Castle Peak. A 43-year-old man, believed to be connected to the case, was also charged with one count of concealing the birth.

Probe launched into whether bus in fatal crash had proper licence

And in January, a 32-year-old Indonesian domestic helper was arrested on suspicion of having an abortion in a public housing flat and leaving the 31-week-gestated fetus at a rubbish collection centre in Kowloon Bay.