Armed robbers hold Hong Kong couple at knifepoint during terrifying invasion of upscale Sai Kung home
- Husband and wife woken up by armed robbers, who broke in through kitchen door
- Thieves take cash and valuables while teenage son and domestic helper sleep through ordeal
A Sai Kung couple are recovering after two armed robbers burst into their home in the early hours of Thursday morning, and threatened them with knives during a terrifying 20-minute raid.
Hong Kong police have launched a citywide manhunt for the pair, who stole HK$12,000 (US$1,500) in cash, three watches, four mobile phones and an iPad.
During the home invasion in the upscale neighbourhood on Pak Kong Au Road, a 62-year-old businessman and his wife were held at knifepoint in their house at Greenpeak Villa estate, while their teenage son and domestic helper slept.
According to a source, police believed the two robbers, who they described as 1.7 metres tall and of medium build, entered the house after breaking in through a glass door, and armed themselves with two knives from the kitchen.
“The men, wearing face masks and gloves, then entered the second-floor master bedroom, woke up the couple and threatened them with knives,” the source said.
The two victims were then forced to lead the robbers around the house searching for valuables, before being released unharmed.
“The couple were ordered to return to their bedroom and go to sleep before the thieves fled with cash and valuables,” the source said.
Police were called soon after 4am by the husband, and officers including personnel from the Police Tactical Unit scouted the area, but no arrests were made. Police found two knives on a hillside near the house.
Separately, a house at the upscale Hong Lok Yuen housing estate in Tai Po was burgled. The case came to light at about 8.30am when police received a report from a domestic helper. Police said a window was pried open and there was a sign of ransacking in the house. Officers are investigating whether any valuables or cash was taken.
In October, there was a series of break-ins targeting luxury houses and upscale flats on Hong Kong Island. A spate of incidents in the first week of October prompted police to launch an anti-burglary operation from October 4 to 6 with the aid of a helicopter.
On October 24, the home on The Peak of a former commander of Hong Kong’s Auxiliary Police, Arthur Kwok Chi-shun, was targeted by a burglar who left empty-handed after triggering an alarm.
The number of burglaries reported across the city fell by 17.4 per cent to 808 in the first half of this year, compared with the same period in 2017, marking a record low since half-yearly crime statistics were first compiled in 1977.
Police said burglaries involving the theft of more than HK$500,000 fell to just eight, down from 13 in the first half of last year.