Advertisement
Hong Kong courts
Hong KongLaw and Crime

National security law: former British top judge to quit Hong Kong’s highest court with the ‘jury still out’ on Beijing-imposed legislation

  • Baroness Brenda Hale, president of the British Supreme Court until last year, says she will not serve a second term on Hong Kong’s Court of Final Appeal
  • ‘The jury is out on how they will be able to operate the new national security law’, Hale says

3-MIN READ3-MIN
42
Baroness Brenda Hale says she will not continue as a Hong Kong non-permanent judge when her first term ends in July. Photo: Handout
Chris Lau
A former top British judge has revealed she will quit Hong Kong’s highest court when her first term expires next month, with the “jury still out” on the Beijing-imposed national security law.

Baroness Brenda Hale, president of the British Supreme Court from 2017 to 2020, told an online conference on Thursday that she would turn down an expected offer of a second stint as a non-permanent judge on the city’s Court of Final Appeal.

“I don’t wish to be reappointed,” Hale said according to a transcript from the conference obtained by the Post.

Advertisement

Her decision was first published on Friday morning by British newspaper The Times, which said the move came “as China tightens its grip” on Hong Kong.

Hong Kong’s national security law came into force on June 30 last year. Photo: AFP
Hong Kong’s national security law came into force on June 30 last year. Photo: AFP
Advertisement

In the transcript, Hale stressed her withdrawal had nothing to do with “what’s going on” in Hong Kong, but she raised concerns about uncertainties under the Beijing-imposed security law.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x