-
Advertisement
Hong Kong police
Hong KongLaw and Crime

Hong Kong man detained on suspicion of unprovoked attack against 2 with box cutter

  • Police raid subdivided flat of man suspected of slashing two victims with a box cutter in Sham Shui Po
  • Inspector says force still investigating motive behind attacks, looking into man’s ‘mental status’

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
Police seized a box cutter and clothes from the suspect’s subdivided flat. Photo: Dickson Lee
Christy Leung

Hong Kong police on Monday morning arrested a man the day after he allegedly slashed two people in unprovoked attacks with a box cutter in Sham Shui Po.

After identifying the suspect using CCTV footage, officers in protective vests and armed with body shields raided a subdivided flat on Tai Nan Street at 11.30am. The unit subdued the man, seizing a box cutter and clothes worn at the time of the alleged attacks.

Police accused the suspect of slashing the neck of a man, 38, in Tai Nan Street at around 7pm on Sunday. He then injured another man, 55, in the face at the junction of Tai Nan Street and Kweilin Street.

Inspector Ng Sai-cheong of Sham Shui Po district’s crime squad said the suspect had lived in the flat alone and claimed to be unemployed. The force was investigating the motive behind the incident.

Advertisement

“Our direction of investigation includes looking into his mental status at the time of the attacks,” Ng said.

The man was arrested on suspicion of common assault and held for questioning.

Advertisement

Earlier this month, four people were injured after another man robbed a woman, 67, of her mobile phone in Kowloon City and assaulted the other three.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x