Hong Kong police record surge of more than fivefold in illegal fireworks possession during Lunar New Year
- Force says it has handled 183 incidents involving unlawful possession of fireworks from January 30 to Thursday
- Police spokesman warns of possible fines and jail time for anyone caught with or lighting illegal fireworks

Hong Kong police have recorded a more than fivefold increase in the number of cases involving unlawful possession of fireworks during the Lunar New Year period, compared with the same stretch in 2021.
A police spokesman said that from January 30 to Thursday, the force handled 183 such incidents. From February 10 to 14 last year, there were 34 cases.
For the second straight night, fireworks were spotted in densely populated Hung Hom. One video seen by the Post showed red, green and white bursts of colour against the backdrop of Victoria Harbour, lasting for about a minute. It followed an earlier display there on Thursday night, seen by residents through gaps between buildings.
Since Monday, fireworks have been set off in Yuen Long, Tin Shui Wai, Sha Tin, Sham Tseng, Ma Wan, Kwai Tsing, Tsz Wan Shan, Yau Ma Tei, Yau Tong, Kowloon Tong and Hung Hom, according to video clips obtained by the Post.
Setting off fireworks during this festive period is thought to bring good luck, health and wealth, and the tradition remains popular in Hong Kong’s rural villages, particularly among older residents.