Hong Kong father convicted over child neglect after 2 daughters accidentally eat CBD sweets
- Man, 26, faced three charges of possessing CBD and neglecting daughters, aged two and four, after duo accidentally ate sweets containing prohibited substance last June
- Magistrate says father’s negligence led to children’s accidental consumption of drug, adding that ‘a custodial sentence will be the only option’

A Hong Kong court has convicted a father of ill-treating his two young daughters, who were sent to hospital after they were accidentally fed sweets containing cannabidiol (CBD) at home.
The 26-year-old part-time construction worker, identified as CKW on the court document, appeared in Tuen Mun Court on Monday after pleading not guilty to three charges of possessing the illegal drug and neglecting his daughters, aged two and four.
Magistrate Raymond Wong Kwok-fai said that although no CBD sweets were found in the defendant’s home, his negligence led to his children’s accidental consumption of the drug on June 25 last year. The older daughter was admitted to an intensive care unit the same day.
“Even though the defendant has a clear record, this case is rather a serious offence and a custodial sentence will be the only option,” he said.
The court previously heard the defendant had left his children at home in the care of a family friend as he and his wife were getting a divorce at the time. The friend called an ambulance after discovering the sisters were feeling unwell.