After mainland and Hong Kong authorities announced yesterday that all nine of the suspected participants in last month’s kidnap of Bossini heiress Queenie Rosita Law had been arrested, they now need to decide where to try them – and at least one legal expert says the chance of a rendition to Hong Kong is slim. Differences in evidence standards on different sides of the border, combined with the complication of possibly transferring only some of the suspects back to Hong Kong, may lead authorities to push for the case to be tried on the mainland, said University of Hong Kong law professor Simon Young Ngai-man. It is still administratively possible for mainland authorities to send to Hong Kong some of the eight arrested in Guangdong province who allegedly crossed the border into Hong Kong to stage the kidnap. But the fact that the accused mastermind allegedly remained in Guangdong province all along might convince law enforcement bodies on both sides of the border that his trial should take place on the mainland. The ninth suspect, who was arrested in Hong Kong, will be tried in the city. “My understanding from the news is that the plan to kidnap formed in Hong Kong, not the mainland,” Young said. “However there might be enough evidence to prosecute them [on the mainland] for conspiracy to commit burglary.” But, Young said, “I think if the mainland and Hong Kong authorities feel that there is enough evidence to prosecute them for a serious offence on the mainland, they will forego the messy issues of rendition.” When the alleged ringleader, identified only as You, was caught in Huidong county, Guangdong, with another alleged member of the gang, they had on them HK$2.8 million, just 10 per cent of the HK$28 million ransom with which the kidnappers escaped. Where the kidnappers stashed the remainder of the ransom money remained a mystery, Guangdong police said yesterday as they revealed more details of the kidnapping of Law from her Clearwater Bay home on April 25. Another issue is the different standards of interrogation and confession-taking between mainland and Hong Kong. While Hong Kong courts exercise stringent scrutiny over possible forced confessions, mainland police interrogation methods could be called into question if the gang members were sent to Hong Kong for trial. Young said in case the victim’s evidence turned out to be weak, the mainland authorities “may just go with the mainland prosecution on the strength of their [possible] confession evidence”. There have been no reports that those arrested have confessed. Asked yesterday whether those arrested on the mainland would stand trial in Hong Kong, Senior Superintendent Anthony Tsang Ching-fo, head of the Kowloon East regional crime unit, said police would liaise with mainland authorities on the best solution. He said they would seek legal advice from the Department of Justice if necessary. Democratic Party lawmaker James To Kun-sun has said there was an arrangement under which the mainland would “expel” suspects from Hong Kong back to the city at the request of Hong Kong police. For example, the two main suspects last year’s attack on former Ming Pao chief editor Kevin Lau Chun-to were sent back to the city. But To noted the two in the Lau case were Hongkongers, whereas the kidnapping suspects are not.