Married Hong Kong securities firm director accused of killing nightclub hostess girlfriend who vanished four years ago

Company director killed nightclub hostess and disposed of her body, court told

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 30 July, 2015, 2:45pm
UPDATED : Friday, 31 July, 2015, 2:29am

A married securities company director killed his nightclub hostess girlfriend and disposed of her body four years ago, a court heard yesterday.

On the opening day of the High Court trial, the prosecution said there was "overwhelming circumstantial evidence" that Ivan Chan Man-sum, 42, murdered Chun Ka-yee, 33, in October 2011. Chan denies murder.

"Chun's body was never recovered. She just vanished from her flat," said prosecutor Arthur Luk SC in his opening statement.

"Despite the absence of the body … there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence … which can lead to only one inference - that the defendant had murdered his mistress, Ms Chun, and disposed of her body."

Luk said Chan was married and had two sons with his wife. He was then a director of the corporate finance department of Guotai Junan Securities (Hong Kong). He left in October 2012.

The court heard he met Chun, who was from Sichuan and worked in a nightclub in Tsim Sha Tsui, in 2007. They soon developed a close relationship and Chan named Chun as the beneficiary of his insurance policy. He also financed the down payment on a flat for her at Amoy Gardens in Kowloon.

Luk said Chan's wife discovered the pair's relationship in July 2011. The wife and Chun exchanged messages to talk about the affair in which Chun, who was severely depressed, once wrote: "I do not want to hurt you. If I really want to hurt you, you would die a few times already."

Chun's family and friends lost contact with her in mid-October 2011. Her family reported her apparent disappearance to police in January 2012.

The court heard police retrieved CCTV footage from Amoy Gardens, showing Chun last entered the building on October 5.

On October 6, Chan visited the building in the evening. He left two hours later but returned to the building with two bags a few minutes later. His Octopus card record showed he bought a large storage bag, household gloves, a bottle of deodoriser and a box of screwdrivers.

On October 7, Chan was seen removing a large and bulky checkered bag on a trolley from the flat. Between October 9 and 11 he asked decoration workers to clear everything out of the flat.

The trial continues before Deputy Judge Michael Stuart-Moore.