Advertisement
Occupy Central
Hong KongLaw and Crime

Hong Kong government sought to secure its headquarters before Joshua Wong and Occupy leaders unleashed protests, court hears

Senior official testifies in trial of top student activists that premises’ forecourt was not a public space and required prior approval for entry

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Joshua Wong Chi-fung arriving at High Court last week. Photo: Sam Tsang
Jasmine Siu

Special arrangements were made to secure government headquarters’ east wing forecourt on the night Scholarism convenor Joshua Wong Chi-fung allegedly incited others to enter the premises before the Occupy movement took full swing in 2014, according to court testimony on Tuesday.

The government Administrative Wing’s senior executive officer Yuen Fook-cheung also told Eastern Court that the forecourt was not designated a public open space as it formed part of the government’s premises and that even tourists could not enter to take pictures.

As such, Yuen said only government or Legislative Council staff and reporters holding passes could enter – but not stay at – the forecourt, such as when it was closed from 11pm to 7am daily.

Advertisement

Those who wished to use it for purposes other than just walking or driving through on Sundays or public holidays would have to seek prior approval, he added.

READ MORE: Copycats? Three Hong Kong police officers deny copying statements over pre-Occupy protest

Yuen further testified that the space, also known as Civic Square, was closed for the first time for security reasons on September 26, 2014, following the full installation of new security fences two weeks prior on September 10.

Advertisement

But he recalled seeing people trying to break into the closed space at about 10:30pm on September 26, with some trying to pull open the gates.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x