-
Advertisement
Hong KongLaw and Crime

Hong Kong rehab centre staff cleared of assaulting mentally challenged woman they force-fed

Magistrate states the defendants ‘only meant goodwill’ in difficult situation

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
An online screengrab from TVB showing the exterior of the rehabilitation centre in Wong Tai Sin. Photo: SCMP Pictures
Jasmine Siu

Two employees with a rehabilitation centre in Wong Tai Sin accused of bruising a mentally challenged woman’s cheeks when they force-fed her in February last year were cleared of assault charges by Kwun Tong Court on Friday.

Instructor Yeung Lai-fan, 26, and caretaker Wong Yuk-lin, 46, were instead bound over in the sum of HK$2,000 for two years and instructed to be on good behaviour and refrain from similar conduct.

Principal magistrate Ernest Lin Kam-hung said binding over was a reasonable penalty as he understood that medical staff might sometimes have to make difficult feeding decisions.

READ MORE: Three staff members arrested at Hong Kong care home over allegations of abuse

Lin said he believed the defendants in this case “only meant goodwill for the patients”.

Advertisement

But he reminded the pair to consult other staff in the future as they would not be let off so easily if they were caught a second time.

The two Hongkong Bank Foundation Hong Chi Tung Tau Hostel staff members were previously charged with one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm after coin-sized bruises were found on the cheeks of their patient Chan Pik-yiu, 53.

Advertisement

Both women denied the charge.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x