Man arrested, five sought for HK$7.68m knifepoint robbery of two mainland Chinese visitors

Midday meeting at Mong Kok guest house ends with forced bank transfers

PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 June, 2017, 9:28pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 20 June, 2017, 12:53am

Hong Kong police have arrested one of six men involved in a knifepoint robbery of two male visitors from mainland China who were forced to transfer 6.71 million yuan (HK$7.68 million) into two bank accounts by mobile phone at a Mong Kok guest house on Monday.

The arrested Hongkonger, 40, was apprehended on Bulkeley Street in Hung Hom at about 9pm Monday for his suspected connection to the robbery. Police are searching for the other men.

The gang of six comprised three Chinese men and three non-Chinese men. Two of the six were armed with knives at the time of the alleged hold-up, which police said happened around midday Monday.

The two victims, aged 20 and 26, were visiting the city from the mainland. When the incident happened, they were holding a meeting inside their room at a Sai Yee Street guest house with two Chinese men to discuss a cross-border, money transfer business.

“Four other men, three of whom were non-Chinese, suddenly rushed into the room, and two drew out knives and pointed them at the victims’ necks,” a police source said.

Two drew out knives and pointed them at the victims’ necks
police source

“The victims were forced to transfer 6.8 million yuan into two bank accounts at knifepoint.”

He said the six robbers left after the transactions were completed.

The two victims were unhurt in the incident. They went to nearby Mong Kok police station and filed a robbery report.

Officers combed the area, but no arrests were made.

Police pored over security camera footage to try to identify the culprits.

Detectives from Mong Kok district crime squad were handling the case.

Figures show there were 61 reports of robbery across the city in the first four months of this year – a 33 per cent drop compared with 92 cases over the same period last year.